The Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) is an obsolete method for implementing virtual private networks. This protocol developed by Microsoft and published in July 1999 as RFC 2637. PPTP uses a TCP control channel and a Generic Routing Encapsulation tunnel to encapsulate PPP packets. It is an extension of the Internet's Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), any user of a PC with PPP client support is able to use an independent service provider (ISP) to connect securely to a server elsewhere in the user's company.
A.Setup PPTP Server in UTM
1. Click on “VPN > PPTP Server”.
2. Select Enable and under Virtual IP Pool enter Local IP range from same network which is already defined in UTM and those IPs should not be used in Local network.
3. Add subnet mask according to IP range mentioned in Step2.
B. Create PPTP Users
1. Click on “VPN > PPTP > Users”
2. Click on Add.
3. Enter username and password (Also use same credentials at client side for authentication purpose).
C. Need to create below firewall rules, So that Remote VPN users will access services under UTM Local network.
Go to Firewall>>Inter-zone Setting and create below rules.
1. UTM to WAN >>TCP / UDP port 1723.
2. VPN TO UTM >> ANY (For all ports).
3. Create VPN TO LAN >> ANY.
D. Create PPTP VPN Dialer on Windows Machine at Client end (using Windows 7 for this example).
1. Go to “Start” and click on “Control Panel”.
2. Proceed to click on “View network status and tasks” in Control Panel window.
3. Network and Sharing Center window will appear, proceed to click on “Set up a new connection or network”.
4. Set up a Connection or Network window appears Then Select “Connect to a workplace” option and click Next.
5. Proceed to click on “Use my Internet connection (VPN)” (your computer should be connected to internet).
6. Enter the WAN IP address of UTM device in internet address. Also name the Connection in Destination Name.
Select checkbox with option “Don’t connect now; just set it up so I can connect later”
7. Type VPN user name and password (created in Section B-3), after that click on “Create”.
Note: For safety concern, don’t enable remember this password option.
8. Ok! Now the VPN connection is ready to use, just click on “Connect now” to establish the VPN connection.
9. If you click on network icon (right hand corner of task-bar), you will notice that new VPN connection item is created and then you can click on “Connect to establish VPN connection”.
Note: You can also right click “VPN connection” and click on “Properties” in order to configure this connection in details if needed.
10. Select “Properties” and under Security tab and select “PPTP” as “Type of VPN”.
Under Data encryption select “Optional encryption”. Also Select Check-boxes for CHAP and MS-CHAP v2 and click Ok.
After All these settings, Remote VPN user can access services which are working under UTM Local network.
For assistance please write us @ UTMSupport@Seqrite.com