Seqrite Endpoint Security offers Backup & Restore Features which enables periodic backup of files as per the predefined file type extensions. In case of any Ransomware attack when all the data files may get encrypted, using Seqrite Backup & Restore Feature, the last backed up data files can be restored.
By default this feature is turned ON and it is pre-configured to take backup of the following file types:
.doc, .odp, .txt, .docx, .ods, .wps, .dps, .odt, .wpt, .dpt, .pdf, .xls, .et, .ppt,
.xlsx, .ett, .pptx, .odg, .rtf, .docm, .xlsm and .pptm
Benefits of Seqrite Backup and Restore Feature :
In many cases, ransomware can encrypt files and even backups stored on NAS storage or other shared locations. Seqrite Backup and Restore feature keeps a backup of your important data on the local drive and protects it against ransomware and other threats using the Seqrite’s Self Protection feature.
The feature is lightweight and works seamlessly without impacting system performance.
Automatically and periodically (multiple times a day), takes a backup of all your important and well-known file formats like PDF and Microsoft Office files. If you have updated any file then the feature will automatically take the backup of the latest copy.
Keeps a backup of your files on the local drive itself and at no point, this data is either shared or transferred to Seqrite cloud.
Note: Disabling Backup & Restore is not recommended by Seqrite.
However, if other 3rd Party Backup Applications are used in your network and data is being backed up regularly, in such cases you can keep either any one backup solution.
To disable, Backup & Restore Feature of Seqrite Endpoint Security follow below steps:
To disable backup feature for all Endpoints of Seqrite Endpoint Security 7.2 version:
1. Login on to Seqrite Endpoint Security Web Console.
2. Go to Clients > Manage policy > Select the policy for which Backup Feature has to be disabled.
3. Go to General Settings > Remove Check-mark from Enable ‘Backup data option’.
4. Click ‘Save Policy’ to apply changes.
5. For other versions of Seqrite Endpoint Security, visit below URL.
6. On the Webpage, Click YES to Proceed.
7. Fill in the request form below if you wish to disable the Backup and Restore Feature in your EPS product. On successful submission of the form, we will email you a link to download a feature that will disable the Backup and Restore functionality.
8. Post Submitting the details, an email will be received to the provided email address.
9. The email consists of link to download a special service pack, post applying which the backup feature on all endpoints will be disabled.
Steps to apply Service Pack:
- Download the Service Pack from the URL received in email.
- Copy the Service Pack executable to Endpoint Security\Admin\Web\build folder
- Execute the service pack
- In the next Client-Server communication cycle, clients will download the Service Pack from Server and the same will be applied in clients. Once applied, the Backup feature will be disabled at endpoints.
10. To confirm if Backup Feature is disabled at endpoint, open the cfrbackup-XXXXX folder located in any of the system drive.
11. Open Backup folder by disabling Self Protection from Client Settings
12. Open cfruconf.ini and check the below :
13. If the IS_BACKUP_ON=0, it means the backup feature is disabled on the Endpoint and henceforth no backup of files will be taking place by Seqrite Backup feature.